Welcome to the wiki for the Non Aligned Technologies Movement.
NATM is a movement for the purposeful design, evaluation and use of information and communication technologies in a way that affirms each community's power of collective self determination and governance. We are a worldwide alliance of civil society organizations (in collaboration with allied players from the public and private sector) that seek to define and claim technosocial alternatives beyond the profit-motivated model of Silicon Valley and the control-motivated model of the Chinese Communist Party, the two centers of power of a new colonial order. NATM does not presume to offer a single solution to the problem of data colonialism; instead it seeks to promote a collection of models and platforms that allow communities to articulate their own solutions for decolonization.
To learn how you can get involved, read our About page.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order to decolonize data, we need to be able to understand and evaluate extractive digital technologies from the perspective of our unique communities.
- Large-scale adoption of alternatives is important. We need to promote the use of non-extractive digital media platforms and support their implementation by our member communities.
- While our communities might have different goals and agendas, we need to act as a global coalition to enforce the taxation and eventual elimination of extractive technologies, which are not good for anyone.
- Non Aligned Platforms Group: Identify, support and promote the use of open-source alternatives to current extractive technologies.
- Technology Review Boards: Develop models and processes for the evaluation of information and communication technologies as a way to decolonize data.
- Algorithm Observatory: Build a citizen science platform for the study of extractive algorithms.
Stay tuned for more information about our first global conference in 2022, and about the regional planning meetings leading up to it.
To list your organization, join the wiki and enter your details in the corresponding page.
- Civic, Research and Activist Networks
- Institutions of Learning
- Geographic communities (towns, cities, countries)
- Individuals: We do not list individual members here, and no formal individual membership process exists yet. Anyone can declare themselves a supporter of NATM if they agree to our principles, and anyone can join this wiki. You may consider using the hashtag #IamNonAligned if you use social media.
Our Advisory Board helps us coordinate the activities of NATM.