Welcome to the wiki for the Non Aligned Technologies Movement. This is very much a work in progress.
NATM is a movement for the purposeful implementation of digital technologies in a way that affirms each community's power of self determination and governance. We are a worldwide alliance of civil society organizations (in collaboration with allied players from the public and private sector) that seek to define and claim technosocial spaces beyond the profit-motivated model of Silicon Valley and the control-motivated model of the Chinese Communist Party, the two centers of power of a new colonial extractivist order . NATM does not presume to offer a single solution to the problem of data colonialism  ; instead it seeks to promote a collection of models and platforms that allow communities to articulate their own approaches to decolonization.
For a quick introduction, please read The case for a digital non-aligned movement and To fight data colonialism, we need a Non-Aligned Tech Movement. Other suggested readings are listed here.
To learn how you can get involved, read our About page.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- Data extraction is illegitimate. There is nothing normal about using data to control us or sell our lives back to us.
- Speed cannot circumvent ethics. Civil society —not governments or businesses— should be the first and last authority in deciding if a technology should exist.
- Saying "No" is a practical solution. A clean and quick break from extractive technologies is not possible, but a collective statement of refusal is an important first step.
- Other platforms are possible. Alternatives exist. We need to promote the use of non-extractive digital media platforms and support their implementation by our member communities.
- One voice, multiple solutions. While our communities might have different goals and agendas, we need to act as a global coalition to enforce the regulation, taxation and eventual elimination of extractive technologies.
- Non-Aligned Ed Tech: Research project investigating academia’s degree of dependence on Big Tech platforms.
- Non-Aligned Alternative Platforms Group: Identify, support and promote the use of open-source alternatives to current extractive technologies.
- Technology Review Boards: Develop models and processes for the evaluation of information and communication technologies as a way to decolonize data.
- Algorithm Observatory: Build a citizen science platform for the study of extractive algorithms.
Our first planning meeting took place on November 24/25, 2020.
Stay tuned for more information about our first global conference in 2022.
To list your organization, join the wiki and enter your details in the corresponding page.
- Civic, Research and Activist Networks
- Institutions of Learning
- Geographic communities (towns, cities, countries)
- Individuals: We do not list individual members here, and no formal individual membership process exists yet. Anyone can declare themselves a supporter of NATM if they agree to our principles, and anyone can join this wiki or our community forum. You may consider using the hashtag #ForNonAlignedTech if you use social media.
Our Advisory Board (coming soon) helps us coordinate the activities of NATM.